Thursday, May 22, 2014

Swirls and The Quilt Festival

I can do hard things. And it turns out, they aren't always that hard.  I used to be nervous about colors and circles and intense quilting. After this project, I still am. But not as much.


Nearly three years ago, I saw a quilt top in a book called Strips'n'Curves by Louisa Smith. It was a strata cut and stitched into swirls and circles. I loved it and was terrified of it. It looked so complicated.  Two years ago, I pieced my strata with peaches, oranges, and reds. I loved the strata and didn't want to cut into it. Alas, I loved the idea of swirls more.
 After one year and a myriad of other quilts, dresses, and other projects, the top was ready.  Three more months of sitting and I found a back. Six months and a baby later, the quilt was stacked. Four days of quilting and an hour of binding. It's finally done.

Here is the most intense, on all levels, quilt I have ever attempted. It is steeped in discovery. I love a peachy color scheme. A darning foot makes free motion pleasant. Circular piecing doesn't have to be hard. It's okay to take a long time to finish something. I didn't rush this like I usually do. If my ideas were congealing, I set it aside. It's not perfect technically, but I learned so much and I am excited to look at it.








PS. Check out the festival hosted by Amy.

4 comments:

  1. There is so much movement in this!! Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on all your hard work. Nothing is ever perfect, but to have learnt so much and have a wonderful quilt at the end of it is fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is beautiful and amazing! I just started to sew this year. I am almost done with my first ever quilt top and Im TERRIFIED to attempt to quilt it. I'm practicing on a sandwhich I made specifically for that purpose. I guess I just need to jump in and do it. BUT you have shown me its ok to take your time and quilt when you are ready! The results look completely worth it to me! This quilt is one of the prettiest I have ever seen.

    ReplyDelete