Thursday, July 9, 2009

Epiphany: Gospel learning in the garden

I don't care as much about the green grass as I do the dead grass. I spend much more time caring and worrying for the yellow. As I watered by "hand" tonight, I understood a bit more about the prodigal son's brother. He was always under the sprinkler, so stayed green and had all he needed and was capable of obtaining for his good. The dead lawn crawled to the well and received a ready welcome. A good lesson then...don't carry your water into the desert, follow the steady source of water--living water.


Under stress, the pumpkin plant shrivels its leaves to preserve water, a valuable resource. In gardening and tending plants, I understand more about the nature of life and the cycle we live in. My cycle is longer than a plants, so it is interesting and telling to watch the life process happen so quickly. Here is the first trimester of a pumpkin flower. Conditions had to be perfect for this young plant to begin production so early. I love this plant for doing what it was designed to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment